My wonderful family

My wonderful family
Emerald Isle, NC

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Do you recall seeing party identifications behind the names of the signers of the Declaration of Independence?

Know why?  Political parties didn't exist until the Federalist party (the first American political party) came about AFTER George Washington was elected president.  Who were the Federarlists' opponents?  The Democratic-Republican party founded by Jefferson & Madison.  This party became what we know today as the Republican party.  The Dems split off and took that name.  Its first leaders were Andrew Jackson and Martin Van Buren.  Every now and then, I get to use my political science degree!  


Why do I go on?  Well, these men were first and foremost Americans and fought for freedom without regard to political labels.  When you read history reports on Jefferson, do you see a (R) behind his name?  


So would someone please ask Congress to Celebrate Non Perfectionism????  This time, don't worry about labels, figure out a solution.  It won't be perfect and many will be upset, but sometimes you have to let Non Perfectionism win.  


In case you didn't know it, I am a proud Republican.  To date, I have never voted for a Democrat, well, if they listed their political party on their ballot. I did vote for Paul Fraim for Mayor and Andy Protogyrou for City Council, but they didn't have party labels.


Over the years, I have grown more conservative fiscally, but more liberal on social issues.  If you don't want Government to interfere, you can't legislate morality.   My first job out of UNC was working as a Staff Assistant for the U.S. Senate Agriculture Committee.  The chairman, and thus my first boss, was Jesse Helms.  I worked there from May until November 1986 when I knew I would lose my job because the Democrats would take over control of the Senate.  So, I before I left, I took the requisite photo with Jesse:




I always respected Senator Helms because you knew were he stood.  But he also understood that in order for laws to be passed, he had to work with Democrats.  Look at how many bills he sponsored that became laws.  That would have never happened if he just cared about only working with Republicans.  He was concerned about his constituents.  If he was still alive and still on Capitol Hill, he wouldn't give the ever present 24 hour news channel networks the time of day. He wouldn't care what a pundit thought.  


Somehow, I wound up marrying a Democrat.  The proud son of a liberal Jewish NY city family.  We've learned to not talk much about politics because neither one of us wins.  But, I don't walk around with an (R) behind my name, nor does he wear the (D) when we do the things we have to do -- go to work, raise our children, pay our bills, contribute to society.   Can Congress just do their job and leave the labels aside?  Would we have had a Declaration of Independence if we worried about what party was in charge?  Be statesmen and stateswomen, first and foremost.  Let's stop this from happening:






O.K. I won't be political for a while more!  Meniere's is better today.  After watching some of Rupert Murdoch's questioning by British Members of Parliament, maybe our politicians wouldn't sound so bad if they all spoke with British accents!

No comments:

Post a Comment