My wonderful family

My wonderful family
Emerald Isle, NC

Monday, July 18, 2011

First Blog -- shooting for a B+

A very wise girlfriend recently said to me that she was shooting for a grade of B or B+ in all areas in her life.  If you're getting an A in part of your life, that means something else is being neglected.

We were meeting to plan for the coming Girl Scout year. This will be my seventh year serving as a leader.  Last year was my first leading two troops!   I have 2 daughters who were in 6th & (Madison) and 3rd (Julia) grades this past school year. I have always led Madison's troop. This year, after promises to both, I led both troops.  Needless to say, I didn't earn an a B+ as leader for either troop!  O.K., maybe a B for the Brownies, but a C for Cadettes.  Those are grades I'd give myself --  I think my daughters would give me an A!

The point of this blog is to "Celebrate Non Perfectionism!"  I can't be Martha Stewart and neither can you!  But look at Martha -- yes, she gets an A in business, success, etc.  But an F in ethics (remember that little prison sentence) and relationships (her husband left her for a trusted assistant).  But, I believe, Martha just wanted those A's and didn't care about flunking a couple of subjects in order to earn those A's.

I have become more and more comfortable in my "Non Perfectionism."  O.K. I do wish that there weren't as many dust bunnies under our bed as there are now.  On top of all of this, I have ANOTHER health issue to handle -- my Meniere's disease in my left ear is raging right now.  I've been stuck in bed or on the couch going on 72 hours now.  Did I mention I have a career as a Financial Advisor????? Well, I can't discuss my career here.  I am glad I can sign in from home, but I can't meet in person with clients.  P.J.'s aren't exactly professional.  But I know I'm lucky -- I'd take Meniere's over cancer or other disease with life/death consequences.

My friends often say to me they don't know how I do it all -- I remind that I may do it all, but I don't do it all well.  My house is not as clean as it could be, I try to only volunteer for Girl Scouts (but still can't say no to the Children's Hospital and a couple of other organizations); I am not as a big of a producer as I could be at work. In other words, I'm shooting for B's.  In a couple of areas, I'm probably getting a C right now.  My goal is to get it all back to B's.  Let Martha have her perfect cake & eat it too!

1 comment: